NIT Hamirpur: Why to Join It and Why to Avoid It?
NIT Hamirpur was established in 1986 as Regional Engineering College (REC) Hamirpur in Hamirpur district of Himachal Pradesh. This college conducts undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in Engineering and Architecture and Doctor of Philosophy programme in Engineering, Humanities and Pure Science.
- NIT Hamirpur has been judged ‘the best NIT’ in terms of the infrastructure by the World Bank.
- It is among the top NITs in the country, consistently ranking among the top 50 Engineering colleges in India.
- It was ranked 23 by Outlook Survey in 2013.
- It was ranked 37 by Dataquest survey in 2012
Placements: In NIT Hamirpur, every year, more than 50 companies come for campus placements and around 90% of the students get placed. NITH boasts of an excellent placement consultancy and has many top recruiters coming for placement of students on campus. The top recruiters for NIT Hamirpur are: Ambuja Cement, Amdocs India, Ashok Leyland, Belzabar, Bharat Petroleum Corp. Ltd. Mumbai, Capgemini, GreyB, Hero MotorCorp Limited, Honda car India Ltd., Hyundai Motor India Ltd., Infosys, JSPL, Larsen & Toubro ECC Div, Luminous, Mangalayantan University Aligarh, Maruti Suzuki, Play Buff (Arch Mobile), Rancore, Samsung India Electronics Pvt. Ltd. Software Engineering lab Noida, Samsung India Limited, Samsung India Software Operations Pvt. Ltd. Bangalore, Sapient, Shiva Institute Bilaspur, SUBROS, Venera Tech Noida, Verizon, Winshuttle, ABB, ACC Limited, Era Infra Engg. Ltd. new Delhi, Exl Infotel Indore, Indian Oil Corporation Ltd New Delhi, ITC, L & T Powai Mumbai, Lovely University Punjab, AFCONS, Atos Pune, Click Lab, Kanchanjunga Power Company Pvt. Ltd. Noida (Polyplex), Sobha Developers Ltd. Gurgaon, Sai Urja Power Project Shimla, TCE, VVF India Ltd. Solan,
Faculty: There are about 90 faculty members at NIT Hamirpur. The faculty-student ratio is 1:20.2.
Notable faculty of Hamirpur NIT include-
- Dr R. L. Sharma- Professor- Civil Engineering Department.
- Dr Rakesh Sehgal- Professor- Mechanical Engineering Department.
- Dr Sunand Kumar- Professor- Mechanical Engineering Department.
- Dr Anoop Kumar- Professor- Mechanical Engineering Department.
- Dr J. N. Sharma- Professor- Mathematics
- Dr M. N. Bandyopadhyay Professor – On Lien Director at NITK
- Dr S.K. Bhowmick
- Late Dr C.L. Dhar- Professor and Head- Civil Engineering Department.
- Dr R. Jha- Professor Electrical Engineering- Currently Prof and Head Instrumentation & Controls, NITJ
1. Hostel: there are 9 boys’ hostels and 2 girls’ hostels, all with residences for the faculty and staff. Few hostels have four- seated or triple- seated rooms, whereas others have doublets and singlets. The Mega Hostel is the newest and largest in its capacity.
2. Sports: NIT Hamirpur provides sports facilities for indoor and outdoor games. College teams are sent out to compete in university- level sports competition. The sports facilities include cricket, lawn tennis, football, basketball, table tennis, volleyball, badminton and athletics.
3. Computer centre.
4. Central library.
5. Health Centre: NIT Hamirpur has its own dedicated health centre for the better health care of its students and staff, which is equipped with basic medical facilities.
- Civil Society (C- SOC)
- Society For the Promotion of Electronics Culture (SPEC)
- Society of Mechanical Engineers (SOME)
- Forum of Computer Engineers (FORCE)
Clubs and Societies:
Team Prayas: The students run a literacy mission, ‘Prayas’ to help the poor children residing around the campus.
GLUG-NITH: GLUG NITH or GNU/ Linux User Group of NIT Hamirpur organizes workshops, presentations and demonstrations.
Rotaract Club-NITH: Rotaract club, NIT Hamirpur is an affiliate of Rotary club Hamirpur and comes under the R.I 3070 district of the Rotary International.
Hill ‘Ffair: HILL’FFAIR is the most anticipated cultural event of the institute. It is organized at the national level and with the involvement of well-known singers, bands, artist, musicians, poets and participants from all across the country.
Nimbus: Nimbus has become the biggest technical festival of Northern India, which is touted to be an amalgamation of expressions, prototypes, ideas, innovations, knowledge channels etc. taken to the most premier levels.